Sunday, October 22, 2017

The Information Diet

The Information Diet by Clay Johnson takes the concept of a food diet and makes an analogy to an information diet.  They are both based on consumption, and choice is the key to it being a healthy or unhealthy diet.  


This analogy really made sense to me.  As for a food diet, for the most part, I have learned what is good and bad.  Although what I eat is not super healthy, I know what I’m doing and I’m making educated choices.  As for information, I was not aware of some of the implications and was consuming information with ignorance.  After reading the book, I understand that I was consuming information for affirmation and not taking the source into consideration.  I did not know that my belief and seeking affirmation were a barrier to broader information.  It is said that no matter how many facts are presented to me, I would not budge on my stance.  Now, that I know this, I will really try to be open minded.  For every piece of affirming information, I will seek broader information and take sources into greater consideration.

5 comments:

  1. I think that seeking affirmation is something that humans are naturally wired to do. In particular, students tend to do this with their peers; therefore, it makes sense that the tendency would be to do the same online. When we introduce students to their information “diet”, we need to take into account that they will seek to be validated. This also goes hand in hand with teaching students that it is ok to be wrong and not feel validated at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think being able to develop an effective filter is important when it comes to information using. As Clay Shirkey states, "There's no such thing as information overload-only filter failure." We can do a better job of controlling what information we consume, just as we can do with the foods we eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have been living in an information bubble. I have made a point to seek information from opposing view points or use alternative sources. It’s not always comfortable for to me consume information that isn’t affirming my own beliefs. After reading The Information Diet I do believe going outside the bubble is necessary to look at the world objectively.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have been "consuming information with ignorance." This book certainly opened my eyes to an awareness of my own technology consumption and like you I strive to seek more affirmation to what I read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also identified with the consumer that seeks information to reinforce his beliefs. I realized that I unconsciously filter information that questions my opinions about education, politics, or just society in general. Now that I am more aware of my consumption habits I tried to look at both sides of the coin before making any judgment.

    ReplyDelete