Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Knowledge - The Third Design Principle revolves around the idea that any design we create has to be situated with authentic activity.  The concepts we discussed in our third class all revolve around learning through ordinary activity of our culture.  Situated Cognition is learning through situations in our society.  ABCS is Authentic Activities - the ordinary practices of a culture, Building Knowledge Activities - connecting the learned facts to meaning, Construction Activities - moving from knowledge to understanding involves performances of understanding, and Sharing Activities - allows for testing the understanding in a public arena. AeCTS is Authentic Problem - problem solving, decision making and learning activities embedded in an authentic problem, Clear Outcome - the end public product and the criteria, Process/Thinking Skills - talking about the thought process and sharing, and Software Skills - the tool used and scaffolding the activity.  

All of these concepts are being adopted in LCPS through our Vision 20/20.  The mission is to empower all students to make meaningful contributions to the world    The strategic goals are:
1. Develop knowledgeable critical thinkers, communicators, collaborators, creators, and contributors
2. Cultivate a high-performing team of professionals focused on our mission and goals
3. Deliver effective and efficient support for student success
The concepts we are learning in class speak to the first goal and are being taught and stressed throughout LCPS, as well.  The professional development I receive from my district and this class are helping me be part of the second goal.  The third goal is the hardest of all.  

Learning about how to educate 21st Century Learners inspires me and makes sense.  I want my students and my own children to make meaningful contributions in our world and have the skills to do so.  But my buy in is there.  Now, it’s up to me to do my part, deliver and implement these ideas.  Things have been done the same way for so long, that the change has been easy to start but slow in gaining momentum.  Educators are so busy meeting the expectations of the district and school administrators, the parents and most important of all, the students, that any kind of change is difficult.  Change means more time, energy and commitment.  It would be easy to ignore and maintain business as usual but my buy in is too strong.  Everyday, when I walk into my school building, I pick one thing I can do within that day to make progress toward the goals.  Yesterday, I had a planning meeting scheduled with my second grade team.  My goal walking in that day was to incorporate authentic activity into our planning session.  I wasn’t sure what ideas the team would come up with or if they even had anything but I was going to try.  By the end of the meeting, I coached them through and they came up with a plan to have their students create an informational presentation for the school and their parents about their field trip to the zoo.  Their field trip is in November and that gives us plenty of time to scaffold how to use Google slides as the tool.  We are still in the planning phase but the idea is there and it is an example of using the content as the means and not the end.  I’m excited to see how this goes for the teachers and especially for the students.

5 comments:

  1. The authentic activity is paramount. I wonder how thigs would be our education was based in authentic activities. I have taken so many classes from Middle School through college where the information escaped my brain as soon as the final was over because it wasn’t linked to a real world problem and I had no use for it. What a complete waste of time and energy!
    I too want my child and future children to be good contributors to society. I think the third design principal creates good parenting too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you were able to collaborate with the second grade team to develop a plan. I like to do this as well, because it allows everyone to be on the same page and great ideas can be shared when everyone is in the same room together. Students could also design their own zoos for specific biomes and they could blend in math concepts for calculating the area of each pen or food needed for each animal's diet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me your school's Vision 20/20 and the principles we are working towards in class as so relevant in the changes we need in education yet we are still constrained by division pacing and state standards. I like your mission to tackle this one day at a time, one planning period at a time, one lesson at a time. i am looking forward to hearing how your project turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you that it is our time now to do our part, and setting daily steps to reach that goal is a great idea. I am trying to change my mindset while I look at the standards, find those authentic activities in there and take them into the classroom. I think that your example proves how collaboration plays a great role when designing, having different perspectives truly helps build strategies and ideas for authentic activities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you did a great job coaching your team! Everything that you mentioned here certainly strikes a chord with me. I often find that attempting to meet all of the commitments and expectations makes good design a difficult proposition. Your post also made me consider this issue in a new light- if you think about it, the lack of time is, in and of itself, a problem. We then have the opportunity to present this problem to the teachers (and even the students) so that they can become collaborators working to solve the problem. It seems like you were able to find a good solution with your team.

    ReplyDelete